Things in the Well anthologies, collections, magazines
|Between the Tracks – Tales from the Ghost Train – Railway themed anthology with non-fiction articles, an annotated version of Clive Barker’s ‘The Midnight Meat Train’ and a 6-page comic!|
|Below the Stairs – Tales from the Cellar – Short stories set in basements, cellars, etc.|
|Behind the Mask – Tales from the Id – Themed anthology of stories involving masks, masking and unmasking.|
|Beneath the Waves – Tales from the Deep – Underwater-themed anthology with illustrations, mostly by Will Jacques.|
|Beyond the Infinite – Tales from the Outer Reaches – Dark science fiction stories.|
|Beside the Seaside – Tales from the Daytripper – Short stories set in seaside towns, beaches, arcades, fairgrounds, and piers.|
|Trickster’s Treats – Halloween-themed Flash Fiction.
Issue 1-3. Each issue has different themes and are for various charities
|Shades of Santa – Christmas-themed Flash Fiction. Issue 1. A charity anthology|
|Guilty Pleasures and Other Dark Delights – Dark erotic drabbles, double-drabbles, and a few extra length stories. Includes Ramsey Campbell’s ‘Dolls’ and an article by S.T. Joshi|
Kane’s Scary Tales – Short dark fairytale stories by Paul Kane
Train Wreck – Short stories by Noel Osualdini
White Shadows – Collection of young adult short stories by P.B. Kane
If Only Tonight we Could Sleep – Collection of short stories by Matthew R. Davis
The Beard and Other Weirdness – Collection of short, dark, surreal stories and poems by Steve Dillon
Deeper, Darker Things and Other Oddities – More short stories by Steve Dillon
This Sublime Darkness – Short stories by Greg Chapman
The Configuration Discordant – Collection of dark poetry by John Baltisberger
Burning Love and Bleeding Hearts – Valentine’s Day themed short stories. A charity anthology for victims of the Australian bushfires
Tales of the Lost Volume 1 – Anthology of short stories around the theme of loss
Black Dogs, Black Tales – Themed anthology of stories where, whatever happens, the dogs don’t die! A charity anthology
Infected, Tales to Read At Home – Collection of short stories about infections, viruses, and plagues. A charity anthology
Infected, Tales to Read Alone – A second book of stories about infections, viruses, and plagues. A charity anthology
Tales of the Lost Volume 2* – A second book of short stories around the theme of loss. A charity anthology
Grotesque: Monster Stories* – Collection of short stories by Lee Murray
Behind the Midnight Blind* – Collection of short stories by Marty Young
*Denotes not yet published at the time of writing
Each of the themed anthologies contains a selection of reprinted stories
by famous authors, as well as a main body of new, original fiction.
Anthology SERIES TWO:
TALES OF THE LOST: VOLUME TWO
Tales To Get Lost In…
With an amazing lineup including Christopher Golden, Tim Lebbon, Christina Sng, Tim Waggoner, Peter Straub, Palisano, Neil Gaiman, Lisa Morton, Joe Hill, Kaaron Warren, Joe Hill, and many more!
Money raised by the anthology will go to benefit the Save the Children Coronavirus Response. The other purpose of the book is to provide people stuck in their homes something new to read during this crisis, while all profits go to a great cause.
Join our Facebook page (TALES OF THE LOST) for regular updates, sneak peeks, links, interviews, and more. Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Tales-Of-The-Lost-104163927614756/
Tales of the Lost Volume 1 – We All Lose Something!
Compiled and co-edited by Bram Stoker Award-winning editor Eugene Johnson and Things in the Well series editor Steve Dillon, Tales of the Lost comprises an impressive list of short stories, a few of which are reprints from famous names such as F. Paul Wilson, Tim Waggoner, Yvonne Navarro, and Stephen Graham Jones. This stunning cover art was commissioned from Francois Vaillancourt, and the anthology is completed by a Christina Sng poem, specially-commissioned artwork from the distinctive brush of Luke Spooner, and eleven new stories from an assortment of award-winning writers, all with the underlying theme of Loss…
Now available on Kindle:-
Guilty Pleasures and Other Dark Delights
Also available in Hardback from Steve Dillon at Things in the Well
Beside the Seaside – Tales from the Daytripper
Beyond the Infinite – Tales from the Outer Reaches
Beneath the Waves – Tales from the Deep
Behind the Mask – Tales from the Id
Below the Stairs – Tales from the Cellar
Between the Tracks – Tales from the Ghost Train
Awards – Winners and Finalists/Nominations
- Chris Mason’s ‘The Black Sea’ won the Australian Shadows’ Paul Haines Award for best long fiction, 2018. From Beneath the Waves – Tales from the Deep.
- Chris Mason’s ‘The Stairwell’ won the Aurealis Award in 2017 for best horror novella. From Below the Stairs – Tales from the Cellar
- Brian Craddock’s ‘Ismail’s Expulsion’ won the Paul Haines Award for best Long Fiction, awarded as part of the Australian Shadows Awards, 2017. From Between the Tracks – Tales from the Ghost Train
- Martin Livings’ ‘The Circle Line’ from Between the Tracks – Tales from the Ghost Train was shortlisted for the Australian Shadows Award for best short fiction, 2017
- Below the Stairs – Tales from the Cellar was shortlisted for the
Australian Shadows Awards Best Edited Work, 2017
- Matthew R. Davis’s story ‘Andromeda Ascends’ and Chris Mason’s ‘The Black Sea’ were both finalists in the 2018 Aurealis Awards for best Horror Novella. Both stories were published in Beneath the Waves – Tales from the Deep.
- Chris Mason’s ‘The Black Sea’ was also shortlisted for the Shirley Jackson Awards 2018 for best Novelette, and the Australian Shadows Awards for best Novella, making a total of three (3) nominations for the same story! That in itself is a rarity, especially for an upcoming writer.
- Behind the Mask – Tales from the Id has been shortlisted for the Australian Shadows Awards 2018 for best edited work.
Flash-Fiction Seasonal Anthologies
These seasonal flash-fiction magazines are published in part to raise awareness of,
and provide funds for various charities.
- Trickster’s Treats #3 2019 – The Seven Dealdy Sins edition (for charity:water)
- Trickster’s Treats #2 2018 – More Tales from the Pumpkin Patch
- Trickster’s Treats #1 2017 – Tales from the Pumpkin Patch
- Shades of Santa 2017 – Tales from the Bloody North Pole
The Refuge Collection
Predating our Things in the Well series and published by Oz Horror Con, The Refuge Collection is a two-book series comprises 36 short stories from over 40 authors, artists, and other supporters across the globe. Prompted by the global refugee crisis, our intent was to raise money for Sanctuary Australia Foundation and Refugee Action UK. Among other benefits, monies raised were used to relocate and reunite two refugee families from war-torn countries. The stories inter-relate and are set in the shared world called Refuge. These stories also reflect in some way the hardship felt by refugees – cultural displacement, confusion, abuse, loss, shame, bigotry, and even demonizing. Written in a way that uses a fictional narrative to bring real world horrors to the table, Refuge is referred to by its inhabitants as ‘Heaven to Some, Hell to Others’.
- The Refuge Collection – Heaven to Some (Volumes 1-3)
- The Refuge Collection – Hell to Others (Volumes 4-6)
- The Empath’s Tale – The Whole Story (Parts 1-6, extracted from the other two books)
Some short stories in The Refuge Collection have been narrated and published as audio books. Any profits will go to our nominated charities.
The Refuge Collection Awards
- Lee Murray’s ‘The Thief’s Tale’ from The Refuge Collection, Heaven to Some, won the Sir Julius Vogel (SJV) Award for best short fiction in New Zealand in 2015
- Matthew R. Davis’ ‘The Heart of the Mission’ from The Refuge Collection, Hell to Others was shortlisted for the Australian Shadows Award for best long fiction in 2016